India and her neighboring countries have for millennia been organized according to conceptions of caste. These conflict with the western idea of the equal moral worth of all human persons, as well as the ideas that freely accepted contracts and merit as determined by free markets should form the foundation of sound economic relationships.
- How do business operatives experience caste relations?
- What is caste discrimination?
- What are the principal forms of caste discrimination in business relations?
How can we prevent and correct caste discrimination?
10:00 - 10:15 Welcome by the Dalit Solidarity Network Norway/Initiative for Ethical Trade Norway
10:15 - 11:15 Keynote speech by Dr. Surinder Jodhka, Professor of sociologu, Jawaharlal Nehru University: "Engaging with Caste in Contemporary India: Changes and Reproduction of Social Inequality"
11.15 - 12.15 Keynote speech by Dr. Christodas Gandhi IAS, Retired Commissioner of Tamil Nadu: "Challenges and opportunities for proactive engagement against caste discrimination"
12:15 - 12:45 Lunch break
12:45 - 13:00 Film clips on Caste Discrimination
13:00 - 13.45 Keynote speech by Director Gerard Oonk, India Committee of the Netherlands/DSNN: "International advocacy on caste discrimination and labour rights: a European perspective""
13:45 - 14:30 Workshop discussion of specific proposals to counteract caste discrimination
14:30 - 14:45 Summary of workshop outcomes
14:45 - 15:00 Closing remarks and suggestions for follow up work
We have the honor of presenting some of the most distinguished experts on the issue of caste and businness life in contemporary India:
* Dr. Christodas Gandhi (ret.), Dalit and former Development Commissioner - Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Department in the Government of Tamil Nadu; Chairman and Managing Director Tamil Nadu Energy
* Dr. Surinder Singh Jodhka, Professor and Chair Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and Visiting Professor at University of Lund, former Director of Indian Institute of Dalit Studies
* Gerard Oonk, Director of India Committee of The Netherlands and Dalit Solidarity Network-Netherlands
Use the registration form below.